The Alabama Hill neighborhood has two parks, St. Clair and Highland Heights. The neighbors and users of Highland Heights Park have recently started a blog to try and get others interested in helping to get the city to make some needed upgrades to the park.
It seems like some of the park equipment has been breaking down and is being removed by the city. The good news is that the city has said that new playground equipment and professional service and design for the park are part of the 2009 city budget. The actual construction phase is in the 2010 budget. The bad news is that the city is projecting a budget deficit and they’re looking for places to make budget cuts. The city had approved improvements to 2 parks in 2009, the other park has been removed from the plans leaving only Highland Heights. But considering the financial strains of the times, it probably wouldn’t take much to take the park improvement off the budget.
The Alabama Neighborhood Association is trying to come up with ideas to help get the park improved. Their suggestions include a fundraiser, maybe a garage sale in spring, or some other creative way to come up with some funds to show the city that the neighborhood is serious about upgrading the park. With money on the table to help the city is less likely to remove the park improvement project from the budget. If you’re interested go to http://highlandheightspark.ning.com/ and help make Highland Heights Park one our kids can really enjoy.
- 365 365 Things to do 365 Things to do in Bellingham Absorption Rate Absorption Rates airplanes art bat caves Bay berries bicycles bikes Birch Bay birds Blaine blanchard mountain boats books cars classic cars coffee Credit credit restoration dance Estate Sale Fairhaven Farmer's market farms ferry festivals film First Time Home Buyer Flowers food fundraiser gardens gems hiking history jazz kayaks library lummi island market report Market Reports movies music mustangs nurseries oyster dome Parade parks parks big rock plants pottery race real estate market reports rodeo salmon sehome hill arboretum Ski to Sea soccer sports statistics thai food Things to do in Bellingham trees Vietnamese food WWU
- This Blog has moved
- Day 148 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – Urban Barn Dance
- Day 147 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – The Fairhaven Salmon BBQ & Sidewalk Sale
- Day 146 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – Sign up for The Bellingham Traverse
- Day 145 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – Whatcom County Farm Tour