One of the great benefits of real estate as an investment is the capital gains tax advantage it has over other investment classes. With let’s say stocks and bonds the capital gains rate is 15%. If you sell your home and it’s your principal residence you can exclude the first $250,000 (500,000 for married couples) in profits from your tax bill. You had to own the house and lived in it for two out of the past five years. This capital gains tax advantage can be a good reason to invest in real estate, it can also be a motivation to sell and move on before the gains exceed the allowable deductions. I would always advise my clients to check with your tax advisor or accountant before making any tax related decisions about their homes.
- 365 365 Things to do 365 Things to do in Bellingham Absorption Rate Absorption Rates airplanes art bat caves Bay berries bicycles bikes Birch Bay birds Blaine blanchard mountain boats books cars classic cars coffee Credit credit restoration dance Estate Sale Fairhaven Farmer's market farms ferry festivals film First Time Home Buyer Flowers food fundraiser gardens gems hiking history jazz kayaks library lummi island market report Market Reports movies music mustangs nurseries oyster dome Parade parks parks big rock plants pottery race real estate market reports rodeo salmon sehome hill arboretum Ski to Sea soccer sports statistics thai food Things to do in Bellingham trees Vietnamese food WWU
- This Blog has moved
- Day 148 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – Urban Barn Dance
- Day 147 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – The Fairhaven Salmon BBQ & Sidewalk Sale
- Day 146 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – Sign up for The Bellingham Traverse
- Day 145 – 365 Things To Do In Bellingham, WA – Whatcom County Farm Tour